Leadership Iowa University,
a program of the Iowa Association of Business and Industry Foundation
(ABIF), is designed for college students. It is modeled after the very successful and unique Leadership Iowa program, which is in its 30th year. The 2014 program's initial session will be held August 3-7, 2014 in the Des Moines area.
LIU combines three critical elements:
- a week long curriculum that includes leadership assessment and training, hands-on education about Iowa issues and the opportunity to meet and learn from Iowa's political and corporate leaders;
- two follow-up sessions to further enhance your leadership and business skills, while building an awareness of Iowa issues and opportunities;
- mentorship with a business professional in students' area of career interest
Highlights from the 2013 year include:
- A day spent at the Capitol talking with young professionals who work in state government, a behind-the-scenes tour;
- A trip to Pella to learn about quality of life in smaller communities, fascinating tour of Pella Corporation and a networking reception at Tassel Ridge Winery;
- A day spent downtown Des Moines to learn about the exciting things happening in the capitol city, round tables with business professionals and CEO's;
- A morning spent at an advertising agency to write, edit and create marketing materials for Leadership Iowa University;
- Networking opportunities with over 150 young and business professionals across the state of Iowa, many of which resulted in internship and job opportunities.
- So much more...
30 students will be selected for the sixth year of this one-week residential program to be held August 3-7, 2014. There will also be follow-up sessions and a mentoring program due before the end of the school year.